Since we get asked this question a lot at REA, I figured it’d be easiest to write an article to quickly explain how to add your Accountant to Quickbooks online.
One of the key features of Quickbooks is the ability to invite different users through the “Manage Users” page. This allows you to securely invite colleagues and Accountants to help manage your account while still being the “Master Admin” on the Quickbooks account.
If you’d like to give your accountant access to your company, here are the steps to add an Accountant to Quickbooks Online:
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online (QBO).
- Select the Settings ⚙️ icon then Manage Users.
- Select Add User.
- Select Company admin.
- Check This user is my accountant. Note: This step doesn’t apply to Simple Start subscriptions.
- Select Next.
- Enter the accountant’s name and email address. Save.
- Your accountant will be sent an email with a link to sign into your QBO company.
- Your accountant will be asked to create a user ID before signing in the first time, unless they already have an account with Intuit Business Services.
- Until your accountant signs in, their status will remain as Invited on the Manage Users page. After accepting the invitation, their status changes to Active.
- Click Next
- Click Finish.
What does this mean to you?
- If you invite your accountant and they already have a QuickBooks Online for Accountants (QBOA) subscription, they’ll get a link to access your QBO company.
- If you invite your accountant and they don’t have a QBOA subscription, they’ll have a chance to sign up when you send them this invitation. Signing up is free and allows them access to your QBO company at no cost to you.
- Your accountant will have access to all of the features available in your version of QBO.
- You can invite up to two accountants.
- Accountant users have additional privileges that allow them to undo entire reconciliations, reclassify transactions and write off invoices.